Saturday, June 20, 2015

Daily 5 Book Study Chapter 1

I am new to Daily 5. I will be starting it this year with my first graders. I taught only Math and Science this last year but they have decided that we are to teach all subjects this coming school year. I was in Kindergarten for 20 years before this so I taught ELA differently. I am very excited so when I saw this book study I knew I just had to jump in!  So I am linking up with Primary Inspired for her Daily 5 book study! So here goes:


First if you do not have the second edition of the Daily 5, here is where you can order one. Just click on the book below:


When I first started reading this, I have to admit, I had some doubts. I am so used to teaching ELA where I create the rotations and it is very organized. Student choice has never been a factor. But as I read this book, I soon began to realize the importance of student choice and the importance to build their stamina in the various areas of Daily 5.


Here is my version of the chart that is found on page 12. This chart has the roles of the students and teacher.


Here is the calendar for our book study if you want to join or just follow us throughout the book!



So far I am loving this book! Can't wait until Chapter 2. Check out some other thoughts on this chapter from some other awesome educators by clicking on the picture below!

Primary Inspired


2 comments :

  1. Hey, Cindy! I'm running a little behind on my blog reading, but I wanted to post a comment to let you know that I'll be following along with y'all on this book study. I learned about it at a Georgia DOE conference last summer. However, I had no one to join me in the journey of Daily 5. Therefore, I want to study it a little more this summer, so I can go for it again next school year! So glad you ladies are doing this book study! Thank you much!! lindaslearningloot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you will be joining us! We are planning on making this an enjoyable and worthwhile book study. Where do you teach in Georgia? I used to teach in Georgia and I loved it!!

      Delete