Monday, June 30, 2014

It's a Math Made it Monday

I am linking up for the first time this summer with 4th Grade Frolics and her Monday Made It!

Today was a Math Monday Made It! I made two sets of manipulatives today! I am very excited about the two sets I made! 
My first center I made is for my math workshop for my Guided Math Lessons! I saw this on Pinterest and Kindergarten Smorgasboard and ran with it! I loved the idea of magnetic ten frames! So I bought the cookie sheets from the Dollar Store, blue rocks and rainbow tape from AC Moore and my magnet roller from Beckers! 
First, I have to admit, I am not one to measure. I like to do things by eye so I looked at the cookie sheet and peeled the tape and placed it where it looked good. I repeated this to create a ten frame. Four strips vertically and one strip in the middle horizontally. ow for those of you who need to measure, just divide the cookie sheet into 5 equal sections and with a ruler draw a line with your sharpie. Then measure half way and then draw a horizontal line with your sharpie. Put your tape on the lines you have drawn!


Can I just say that I absolutely love this magnetic roller!!!!!! I have been using the same roll of magnetic tape for 6 projects so far. All you have to do is roll it on the floor to the desired length and cut. It is easy and simple. So to make my counters, I bought blue rocks from AC Moore and put a small magnet on the smooth side. Two bags of rocks make enough counters for 10 ten frames. Just a bit of advice: take a cloth and wipe the smooth part of the rock off. The magnet will stick better.



See below for what the finished workshop looks like!


Now for the storage! I bought a green container at the Dollar Store and with my Silhouette Cameo I cut out the words Ten Frames in black vinyl and adhered it to the front. I then cut out hot pink polka dots with my cameo and put them all around the container!


To make the containers for the counters, I found the cutest set of green containers at the Dollar Store. They come in a pack of 2. They snap on both sides. I then cut the word counters out of black vinyl on my Cameo and put it across the top. Each container easily holds 20 counters!


So there you have it, my ten frame workshop! 



My second set of manipulatives I made today are Rekenreks!

I used the materials pictured below:


The foam sheets are from Michaels! They came in a set of 65 for 6.99. I used my 40% off coupon and my teacher discount!
The two bags of beads are from Walmart. They are found in the craft section. They are 1.99 for 500 beads per bag.I bought blue and red beads. I also bought the pipecleaners at Walmart. It was a bag of 100 for 1.99.

To make the Rekenreks, you will need 1 foam sheet, 2 pipe cleaners and 10 beads of each color.
Poke the foam sheet on the left hand side towards the top with the black pipe cleaner. Place 5 red beads and then 5 blue beads on the pipe cleaner. Poke the other end of the pipe cleaner through the foam sheet on the right side. Flip it over and twist the ends of the pipe cleaner around each other to keep it from coming out. Repeat this for the second strand of beads.

Here is the finished product.


Here is the class set of Rekenreks!


So hit the button below to go to some other awesome blogs to see what those amazing educators made today!








No comments :

Post a Comment