Saturday, March 14, 2015

Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites Book Study Chapter 5


I am excited to link up with Fabulous in First for this book study. We are discussing Chapter 5 - Graphic Organizers, Semantic Maps, and Word Webs.



I love Graphic Organizers! They are such an awesome tool for the classroom. The students use them as reference and we learn so much about what our kids know or think they know. They are also a great way to keep all your information in an organized state!



On page 39 Marcia Tate said it best when she said " the best classrooms are ones where students are actively engaged in the learning- talking to one another, moving to learn content, connecting ideas together, thinking positively, and having a purpose for learning." This thought summed it up perfectly and it is an idea that I wholeheartedly believe and agree with!

Here are just a few of the organizers I use in my room:






Here is a video I found about Graphic Organizers:




So here is my takeaway from chapter 5:




Click on the picture below to see what some other awesome educators have to say about Chapter 5!










3 comments :

  1. I agree that I need to use more student created maps and organizers. I love your photos. Thanks so much for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think that had I grown up using graphic organizers I might have been able to organize my thoughts better and understood some of those concepts that were always tricky for me to grasp. Now, I rarely use them - only because it feels like my mind just doesn't work that way. I'm going to make a concerted effort to change that!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how growing up, we didn't use these tools but now I don't know what I would do without my graphic organizers!!

      Delete