Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites Book study Chapters 1 & 2

When I saw that there was going to be a book study on this amazing book, I knew I had to join!


This book and it's author are amazing! The book Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites by Marcia Tate was one of the first books I bought at a Brain Based Conference I attended back in 2003. I had the privilege of attending a week long professional development on Brain Based Learning in Atlanta, Georgia. The week was amazing. The presenter was Eric Jensen. I learned so much and when I implemented all that I learned, my students soared!!!

Sorry I digressed, so the book study is being hosted by so many awesome educators! If you do not have the book please click on the picture below:


This post is on Chapters one and two. This section is hosted by Elizabeth of Kickin It In Kindergarten. I have to admit there is nothing that drive me crazy more then to walk into a classroom and see the piles of worksheets that the children are expected to complete. Not only is it killing trees but it is killing the students' creativity and growth!

Brainstorming and Discussion

Talk, Talk, Talk! Students learn through talking with you and with each other. Think Pair Share is a strategy that is used that allows the students to converse, discuss and brainstorm with each other. It is often a belief that a quiet classroom is a classroom full of learning. NO!!! Students need to talk. Having students sit and not talk is unnatural. Can you do it? Would you want to do it?







It is said that children will be more successful when asked questions that are on all levels of the Bloom's Taxonomy chart! 


This poster of Blooms Taxonomy was found on Pinterest. It was posted by Hello Literacy. Please click on the picture to go to original site.


That was Chapter one now onto

Drawing and Artwork

This was such a breath of Fresh air! I love to see my students' creativity. I believe that art is so important in order for the students' to be successful. Marcia Tate stated on page 21, "A person's ability to draw and design serves them well in the real  world", "Yet in traditional classrooms, these talents are often perceived as interfering with instruction" and finally on page 21, "Use the artistic creativity of students' brain to your cross curricular advantage." 

I find it mind boggling that creativity is viewed as an interference! It is actually an enhancer! 



Here are some examples of how I incorporate drawing and creativity in my classroom!




Here is my summary for Chapter 2:


Wow!! Just two chapters read and I am so enlightened already! I love the set up of this book. It is an easy read! Here is the schedule for the rest of the link ups:

Link up (click on the blue button) and prepare for your chapter 3 discussion over at Mrs. Wills Kindergarten on Saturday! Here is the rest of the schedule and you can join in at anytime!
Queen of the First Grade Jungle Chapter 4 (March 10th)
Fabulous in First  Chapter 5 (March 14th)
One Extra Degree Chapter 6 (March 17th)
Mrs. Jump’s Class Chapter 7 (March 28th)
The First Grade Parade  Chapter 8 (March 31st)
In April, you will be visiting these girls for the remainder of the study:
Mrs. Ehle’s Kindergarten Chapter 9 &10 (April 4th)
What The Teacher Wants Chapter 11 (April 7th)
First Grader At Last Chapter 12 (April 11th)
Erica’s Ed Ventures  Chapter 13 (April 14th)
KinderGals Chapter 14 &15 (April 18th)
A Rocky Top Teacher Chapter 16 (April 21st)
The Inspired Apple Chapter 17 (April 25th)
Little Warriors Chapter 18 (April 28th)
Falling Into First Chapter 19 (May 2nd)
Kickin’ it in Kindergarten Chapter 20 (May 5th)

So if you decide to join and blog about chapter one and two, here is the link to link up and post ypur thoughts:












No comments :

Post a Comment