Monday, September 30, 2013

Mentor Text Linky! Favorite October Reads

When I saw this linky I knew I had to do it.
 


I love the Fall and all of the things that go with it, especially all of the awesome books that are written for this time of year. It begins with Apples and Johnny Appleseed and it ends with pumpkins and being thankful. We can't forget all the creatures in between (bats, spiders and owls)

My all time favorite book for this time of year is Big Pumpkin written by Erica Silverman.
 

I absolutely love this book! I use it every year at this time. We make inferences, predictions and we discuss sequence. The students talk about their favorite part and we discuss if this can really happen. The kids love it when I pair it with the audio cassette because it has a catchy tune and they just love to read it and sing along! 

Here is the description from Amazon:

The witch has grown the biggest pumpkin ever, and now she wants to make herself a pumpkin pie for Halloween. But the pumpkin is so big she can't get it off the vine.
It's so big the ghost can't move it, either. Neither can the vampire, nor the mummy. It looks as if there'll be no pumpkin pie for Halloween, until along comes the bat with an idea to save the day.
How can the tiny bat succeed where bigger and strong spooky creatures have failed? You'll be surprised!

 
This is just one of my favorite books! If you have never read it, you must!!!!!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment