Monday, January 13, 2014

Top Ten Tips

I am linking up with Lauren over at Love, Laughter and learning for her linky party of top ten tips for new teachers!



I remember when I walked into my classroom for the very first time! Oh, how I was excited, nervous and scared! Will I be successful? Did I make the right career choice? These are all thoughts and concerns that most if not all new teachers have at one point during their first year!

So here are some "words of wisdom" that I have after 20 years in education:

1.  Top Tip for Classroom Organization

Plastic tubs and a label maker are or will be your best friend. I store all of my units, papers and books in tubs. I label each one. This keeps all of your stuff at your finger tips. I also have a container that stores all of my crayons by color.I have tubs and containers for everything. I also make sure all cabinets are labeled. This makes it easy to find thins when you need them.


2. Top Tip for Behaviour Management

Be consistent and firm. The first 6 weeks will determine how your school year goes. During this time, remember you are their teacher not their friend. I use the book David Goes to School to teach how they should act in school. We talk about being Peacemakers and Peace Breakers! I use Classdojo and this is amazing for behaviour management!

3. Top Tip for Being a Team Player

Remember, It takes a village to raise a child. Rely on your team members. be cooperative and collaborative. Ask for advice and share your ideas and units. 

4. Top Tip for Time Management

I have a set of drawers that I put all lessons and books in for the week. There is a drawer for each day. I also set up my classroom the night before. That way, my room is ready to go the next day and I am not wasting time setting up. I also make sure that all smart board lessons are pulled up for the day at the strat of the day. That way, i can just tap them on as needed!

5. Top Tip for Engaging Students

Multi-sensory!!! Focus on all senses! Make the lessons engaging! Integrate technology, music, literature, poems, hands on activities and anchor charts. Be creative! Think outside of the box! Make sure there are plenty of brain breaks throughout the day!

6. Top Tip for Getting Along with Parents

Be open, honest, accessible, consistent and cooperative! Use all media for communication! Make them feel that your classroom is a safe environment for their child as well as for themselves. Make them fell like they are a part of your classroom. remember, you are all a team working for the same goal, their child's achievement and academic success!

7. Top Tip for Teacher Fashion

Be comfortable! Remember, clothing must be able to be washed not dry cleaned especially in the lower grades because you never know when you will be decorated by your students (paint is one that I always end up wearing!)since temperatures in a classroom never seem to be consistent, always keep a sweater or sweatshirt of a neutral color in your room!

8. Top Tip for Bargain Hunting

Amazon, blogging, etsy, educents, yard sales, etc!

9. Top Tip for Eating Well at School

Keep healthy snacks in your drawer. Avoid the staff lunch room and snack machines when feeling overwhelmed or stressed. This will lower your calorie intake during these times! Pack your lunch!!

10. Top Tip for Staying Sane

Balance! You need this! Balance your work life and your personal life!

2 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! This is a great linky!

      Cindy
      mrspriceskindergators.blogspot.com

      Delete