Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Value of Failing!

I just wanted to repost a blogpost I put on a special blog that i was fortunate enough to be a part of! The #WHsoc20 Blog is the group of educators who were fortunate enough to attend Teacher Appreciation at the White House last year!

Here is the post:

I know this title of my post has you thinking, what in the world is this teacher saying. Why is she saying that there is value in failing. My belief is that we all need to fail in order to succeed. We all need to take risks and try new things. If we are not successful then we try again. It is ok to fail. Why because in my classroom hangs this sign:



I truly believe that when we or our students fail it is not a bad thing. it is simply our First Attempt In Learning. We all must take that chance in order to be successful. How do we learn if we do not take risks? How do we succeed if we do not try? Nobody is successful 100 percent of the time! It is ok to Fail.
Failing teaches us procedures. Failing teaches us to think on our own. Failing teaches us that there is a time when everyone does not know how to do everything.
I have failed many times throughout my life. I have failed when I first tried to learn to hit a ball. I failed when I first tried to create a document on a computer. But if I did not have this belief that fail is my first attempt in learning then I would never have kept trying and play high school and college softball and I would not have a masters in Technology!
To Fail is to learn to think for yourself, to problem solve and become successful. One of my favorite quotes is from Robin Williams from Dead Poet Society and it is:







No comments :

Post a Comment