Thursday, February 7, 2013

Abraham Lincoln

We had a lot of fun learning about Abraham Lincoln. Since his birthday is on February 12, I decided that my children need to learn more about our 16th President. I absolutely love Abraham Lincoln and I have shared this with my students since Day 1 of Kindergarten. To begin our unit, we talked about Lincoln being the tallest President. We researched to find out just how tall he was, how tall his hat was and big his feet were. Then I made a life size Lincoln for the students to see how tall he actually was. First, I had the students lay down next to him to see how much taller he was. We took pictures. Then I made a hallway display and had them stand net to them to compare their heights. We made informational signs to hang around him. We read the book Looking For Lincoln and talked about the events in his life. The next activity will be writing about him on Stovepipe hats. I have included the signs for you to use if you would like to. Here are some pictures of the display and my kids with Abraham Lincoln.

His feet were a size 14!
His stovepipe hat was 12 inches tall!

He is tall, 6 feet 4 inches or 7 feet 4 inches with his hat on!


Lincoln

Our Lincoln display

Look at how short I am!

Wow! He was tall!

My class and Abraham Lincoln

No comments :

Post a Comment